Thursday, October 30, 2008

How Long will It Take Your Investments to Recover?

Right now when I look at my investment portfolio I totally start to hyperventilate and have to reach for a paper sack! I try to calm myself by reading analyst reports and knowing that eventually the markets will recover and come back to where they once were.

How long does it take to see some return to normalcy? In an average bear market you should see about a 25 to 30% rise in the Dow Jones with in the first year after the bottom hits. In normal market conditions it can take up to four years to reach the high that was once enjoyed.


This Bear market has been different than those in the past. The rapid dissemination of information has caused information and rumors to get to investors at a much more rapid pace than in the past causing more volatile swings in the markets.


At least this week I haven't had to reach for a paper sack!

No comments: