Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My mother the Entreprenuer.

My mom came to me about two months ago and asked me to help her with a business idea that she was thinking about. She would like to make specialty deserts and sell them. Our family has always had family members and friends that had a similar entrepreneurial mindset of starting up businesses and operating them with some success so I think its natural for her to want to do this. The thing is, is that she well qualifies for senior citizen status and she just lost her husband six months ago. I would tell you how old she is but, I'm sure it would give "Death by Chocolate" a whole new meaning. She was working on the idea before my Step-Father passed away and I think that his death motivated her to push harder. The concept of failure never crossed her mind.

We came up with a simple business plan and she took classes in food preparation and handling and became licensed by the health department. After a long and difficult search she found a commercial kitchen to work out of and has been making her desserts to build a catalogue and I have been putting a website together for her and researching out how to ship her desserts. Her start up costs were fairly low so she bootstrapped it and put it on her Visa card and started selling deserts locally in her city.

So far the Christmas season was not what I would call a huge success but she did get enough orders to keep her in business.

No comments: