Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Roaming Wolves


The snow is up to my thighs now and it's getting hard to go out and feed my horse. A herd of deer have been coming into the yard at night and eating my pine trees and sharing with my mare from her manger. It is unbelievably cold here! It was -16f when I took my son to school this morning. He has been home from school for over a week now because of the bitter cold and snow. I am waiting for the school to call and cancel again today and have me go pick him up. I home school my youngest son so, he never gets snow days. I pulled him out of his elementary school about a year ago and I will probably home school him for another year. Yesterday most of the roads were closed around Idaho because of unsafe driving conditions and we just hung out and played Rock Band and watched DVDs. I am good at drums and singing but, I get kicked off stage if I try to play guitar.

Our friend Zane called. I have known him since he was five and we have seen each other through some hard times. He has a good heart. My son has two friends that I love and adore. One has moved away to go and live with his dad. I don't get to see him too much any more and I miss him terribly. It broke my heart completely when he moved. It's hard to feel that he has moved on and has another life without me being a big part of it. I don't know, I think that you love and become attached to people but, I always seem to lose those that I love the most in life.

Zane comes from a ranching family in the area and even though he is young, he works at his ranch and has many of the responsibilities of an adult. He does this and juggles basketball and school as well. He has the most beautiful mare named Peyton--after his favorite quarterback. She's a brown and white Paint with blue eyes. He bought her as a yearling and he and his dad broke her( I don't think that's the right term anymore, it would be more like "gentled" her to ride.) He loves working out there on the ranch with his dad and always mentions it. I think it would be a great life if you didn't have to go out in sub-zero weather to work. He said that he has a new calf he is nursing. The mother abandoned it and he is taking care of it.

We talked about a report of wolves in the area and debated about whether they were actually out there. There is supposedly two wolves running together behind my house. His ranch runs behind our property through the woods and along the river. The ranchers are calving right now so they don't want wolves roaming in the area. Neither of us have heard any wolves at night so, he thinks they are just coyotes.

No comments: